Thursday, June 26, 2008

San Diego Trip

In May Me, the kids, Katie and her daughter Addie and my wonderful babysitter Alena packed in the car and headed sown to San Diego for the weekend. The drive down there wasn't too bad. We were a little concerned about how Addie would do but she handled it like a champ. It was my kids that were buggin a bit. After arriving at Becky's place down in San Diego around midnight we got the kids situated and hit the sack. Friday we headed to the San Diego Zoo. The kids were bored out of their mind and there legs were tired from walking from cage to cage that either didn't have an animal or it was hiding. I was a little disappointed because I was excited for them to see some neat things and I thought they would appreciate it. All they did was whine and I was excited to leave after 3 hours. Here is a tip to all my friends out there. bring a babysitter on your trip. It was so nice having her with us. She isn't just an ordinary sitter though, it is as if she is part of our family. She lives just a few doors down and since I have been working a bit more she is always there and my kids just love her. But it was so nice after being frustrated with whining kids to be able to take off with my sister and go shopping and get some frozen yogart in peace. The next day we went to the Red Bull Air Races. Tyler is obsessed with airplanes and all the kids like planes so I thought that they would enjoy it. Well they whined again, "it is too hot, I can't see anything, there are too many people" After 2 hours of that we left and went back to the apartment pool at becky's place where they had a blast swimming. That night Alena watched them while I went out with my sister's and had some good girl time. Sunday morning we went to the beach to take some pictures of the kids. It was kind of cold and overcast but within 10 minutes all the kids were soaked in their dresses. I hadn't realized that Daryn has never played at the beach before. The last time she was there was on her first birthday. The concept of a wave chasing her and her feet sinking in the sand was so fantastic to her. it was fun seeing the kids "play" with the ocean in such amazment. On the drive home I asked the kids what was their favorite part about the trip and they were unanimous. They liked swimming in the pool and playing in the ocean. When I asked them about the Zoo, the Air Races, the nice dinners, or things I bought them while shopping the in agreement said all those things were boring and the only liked the ocean and swimming. It made me realize that they don't care about the fancy things. They would have been just as happy an hour away at Santa Cruz for the day. I have kept this in mind and no more trying fancy trips, we will stick to the basics and they will be happy and so will my pocketbook.

No comments: